List of Crazy: Snoop Dogg
Snoop Dogg (Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr) is mainly famous for his 30 million album sales and cameo appearances in films, but there are many more reasons for his fame/infamy…
Changed his name to Snoop Lion in Jamaica in 2012 because he believes he is the reincarnation of Bob Marley: “I didn’t know until I went to the temple where the High Priest asked me what my name was,” he explains, “I said, ‘Snoop Dogg.’ And he looked me in my eyes and said, ‘No more. You are the light; you are the lion.'”
- Changed his name from Snoop Lion to Snoopzilla a few months later to promote his new album, “7 Days of Funk.” (But he’ll always be Snoop D-O-double G to us.)
Has a mascot named Nasty Dogg, a pot-bellied person wearing a dog head and sporting pigtail braids. He dances but mostly follows Snoop around the stage waving his hands/paws. Nasty Dogg also enjoys walking around with giant joints and large fake penises.
Re-wrote and re-recorded “Drop it Like It’s Hot” to advertise American microwaveable snack Hot Pockets. Includes an announcement that he’s “got some cheesy drizzle/dripping on my shizzle.”
Popularised the slang suffix “-izzle” (check out Double-Dutch Bus by Frankie Smith in 1981 for the original use), that can be tagged onto the end of most words. “Fo shizzle” may be the most popular (translation: for sure) but check out Gizoogle to tranzizzle a site (translation: translate) into Snoop-speak or just to, y’know, recommend some shizzle.
Co-wrote a novel called “Love Don’t Live Here No More” with David E Talbert, the first in a series of Doggy Tales about a man called Ulysses Jeffries. No more were made.
Insults people with help from his alter-ego Nemo. He once told Kris Humphries (Kim Kardashian’s ex-husband): “my advice is you can’t make a ho a housewife. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel.” Most recently got into a feud with Iggy Azalea by posting an insulting photo on instagram and started name-calling, he later apologised and posted a video on the site saying there would be, “no more bad talk”.
Loves a good endorsement opportunity. Has lent his name to: Norton Antivirus (“Hack is Wack”), hotdogs (“The ‘Snoop Dogg’ Dog”), Monster energy drinks (did his 1963 Cadillac Coupe de Ville up to look like an energy drink), and German mobile phone company Vybemobile which is, frankly, a personal favourite:
- Enjoys learning about cookery with Martha Stewart. Has made mash potatoes and christmas brownies, but requested the brownies be decorated green because “green is environmental.”
10. In 2007, Snoop still had never heard of Harry Potter, quoted delcaring: “I keep hearing about mutha f***ing Harry Potter. Who is this mutha****er?”
11. Started smoking weed in school and revealed in 2005 that he smoked 2 ounces a day. Had quit at age 41 so, conservatively speaking, he had smoked around 682kg in two to three decades- the equivalent of a small car.
12. Offered Welsh farmer Ian Neale, the owner of the world’s largest Swede, tickets to his Cardiff gig in return for some advice on growing his own vegetables. He got some good advice, a packet of rootgrower and then offered 68 year-old Neale a spliff. Which the gardener took because he “didn’t want to be rude” despite the fact it “smelled funny.”
Drug-related arrests: 7
Firearms-related arrests: 3
Times Snoop Dogg’s bodyguards have gone to town on a fan at a concert: 1
Duty-free shops trashed by Snoop Dogg and his entourage at Heathrow Airport: 1
Batons found in Snoop’s carry-on luggage: 1
Countries Snoop has been banned from: 3 (Australia, UK, Norway)
Countries in which he’s now allowed back: 2 (not Norway)
Festivals banned from: 1 (Parkpop in the Netherlands)